Anyway, it meant that I arrived at Oxford absolutely determined to learn - not Eng Lit obviously, but how to have fun. The rule from now on would be that I go to every party I was invited to, flirt with every man I ever met, drink every drink, smoke every joint, never sacrifice a lunch for a lecture, or a party for a tutorial. The gift for fierce concentration that had got me top marks in A-levels would take me through Oxford and into the world as a filly qualified hedonist and femme fatale. I would study the beautiful people and join their ranks, or at least hang on their coat-tails. Give me dazzling daughters of duchesses, not acne’d cleverclogs from northern grammar schools. I was going to be a good-time-girl, dammit.
An Education, Lynn Barber
Although I'm not going to Oxford or studying English Literature, these are pretty much my plans for how I'll spend my time at University. As well as learning to become a fantastic journalist obviously!
Anyway, I'm back at school and not particularly pleased about it. Two days in and the pre-prelim stresses are already kicking in. I know I went through it all last year and I know I'm only doing three highers and an intermediate two this year, I still don't feel ready at all! For RMPS I don't feel as if I really know anything and I have no clue as to what the exam paper looks like. For Media I've got a lot to learn and a lot of practice essays to write. Business Management just means learning everything on our summary sheets. Hospitality means I have yo learn how to time plan, how to cut food correctly (they actually give you a ruler in the exam so you can measure your veg cuts, how crazy is that?!) and how to present my food to a professional standard. You even have to set a table for the exam. So I've got all that to do over the next two weeks which shall be fantastic fun...
Oh thank the lord I'm leaving soon!
I'm so sick of this weather though - my entire street is an ice rink which is no fun at all. I don't think I'd mind the snow so much if I were snowboarding, it's just trying to get anywhere at the moment is just a nuisance. Getting the bus home on Tuesday was brilliant fun - kids throwing snowballs and ice everywhere... thankfully there was a cute flirty guy on the bus to cheer me up! Might be heading up to Nevis next weekend to go snowboarding, so that should be good fun (:
I really need a new book to read. I finished An Education on Monday and really enjoyed it, which has got me in the mood for reading. Prior to An Education I hadn't read in so long, I really should make more of an effort to do so. Found out that both Karyn and Stef are now reading The Time Travellers Wife after I recommended it, which is cool (: I think a trip to Waterstones is in order as well as a cinema trip to see Nine, Sherlock Holmes and Where The Wild Things Are! Plus I fancy a DVD night in... I really need a week off just to read books and watch films.
No comments:
Post a Comment